Be at the forefront of Canada’s growing accessibility movement. This course is the first step towards qualifying to conduct ratings under the Rick Hansen Foundation Accessibility Certification™ (RHFAC) program. Using a comprehensive national rating system, RHFAC methodology measures meaningful accessibility in the built environment.
This course is designed to provide students with a solid foundation in the fundamental skills and knowledge required to rate a site using the RHFAC methodology. With a combination of theory and hands-on practice, this course helps people who plan, design, and construct the built environment begin to understand accessibility from the perspective of people with different types of disabilities. The course identifies the challenges and barriers people with disabilities encounter and how a site can be adapted to make it more inclusive and welcoming for all members of society. Students will be introduced to Universal Design principles, as well as current legislation and standards. The course will finish with a comprehensive overview of the influential role that RHFAC Professionals play in any building project that involves design and construction.
Watch this introductory video about RHFAC for more information.
Upon successful completion of RHFAC Training, students are eligible to write the online exam, administered by CSA Group, to Become a Designated RHFAC Professional.
- A diploma of technology in architecture, engineering, urban planning, interior design or a related program; or
- A Journeyman Certificate of Qualification in a designated trade related to building construction; or
- You are an engineer or are eligible for registration as an engineer; or
- You are an architect or are eligible for registration as an architect; or
- A minimum of five years’ experience related to accessibility in the built environment.
Participants should possess a high level of proficiency with computer systems and programs, including MS Excel, as well as solid written and verbal communication skills.
After you have registered, please send your documents to firstname.lastname@example.org. Students who do not provide proof of meeting the course pre-requisites will have their course registration canceled.